Thursday, March 17, 2011

Gertrude, the sculpture enlarging machine.

Well, I know you have all been waiting with baited breath for photos of Gertrude in action. You shall wait no more!  Here is the first photo taken about half of the way thru the first rough pass.  Notice that I positioned the 4'x2'x2' foam block forward 3 inches too far.  No problem except I had to carve through that 3 inches! Next time I will be more precise. This is just a positioning/functionability/does-this-thing-even-work,test, so the block is a scrap that is only 4 ft tall.  That is about 1 foot short of the final size if this was a real 3x enlargement.  The foam sculpture has only been carved using a 1.25 inch bit, so none of the detail is showing right now.  After the final detail pass, we will coat the foam with .25 inches of clay to sculpt the surface detail.  So, I am pronouncing Gertrude a success!  Enjoy the photo, more to come.  (FYI: the small model is 20 inches tall, and 8 inches square)

No comments:

Post a Comment